Thursday, May 14, 2009

A NEVER ENDING LOVE STORY



A couple of weeks ago my father-in-law had surgery. It was a minor procedure, but when you are 86 years old, nothing seems very minor. David's parents are both 86 and have lived long, godly lives. They are still very much in love and are only whole when they are together. Mr. Haines did not want Mrs. Haines to sit at the hospital during the procedure and only allowed me to bring her when he was out of recovery and in his room. As she entered his hospital room, they both just lit up and he said "How is my girl?" She was just fine as soon as she saw that he was!

The Haines come from the generation where the man took care of the woman and the woman took care of the home and family. (I'm personally grateful that by the time my generation came along, there was more shared responsibilities at home!) My mother-in-law was the primary caretaker of the home, but she worked outside the home whenever extras were needed. They raised five children and I cannot imagine a time when there would not be a need for "extras". I have taught many young married women using the Haines as examples. In the more than 60 years of marriage, Mrs. Haines has honored and respected her husband in both word and deed. Mr. Haines has seldom started a day without first telling her how much he loved her. It is truly a love story that has no ending.

It is a great blessing to belong, if only by marriage, to the legacy they have built for their family. I'm writing today to ask myself how I'm adding to this legacy and encouraging you as you build yours.

2 comments:

Keri said...

This post made me so emotional for some reason!! I love a good love story and with 60 years under their belt, I'm sure they have some good stories!!

I am very sad I didn't get a chance to hug your neck at C3. I saw you sitting right there in front but never got to you............thank you for coming!!

Anonymous said...

Johnnie, such a sweet family story! One of your forever friends, Kay Martin