Tuesday, July 31, 2018

7 THINGS THAT REALLY SCARE ME

Image result for Six Flags Astroworld Texas Cyclone








David and I have been blessed with 6 grandchildren.  The oldest is 10 and the baby is 6.  They are each as different as can be.  They make us laugh; cry and shake our heads sometimes at the things they say.  If a reporter were to line them up and put a microphone in front of them and ask them “How would you describe your Nonnie” (my grandmother name), they would all answer the exact same way.  Nonnie is a scardy cat.  They are right!  My favorite ride at the amusement park is the Carousel. They have explained to me any number of times that the Carousel is not a ride at all.  Don’t care, it’s my favorite! I don’t drive fast; don’t try new restaurants and close my eyes during the scary parts of the movie.  If I had my way, they wouldn’t do scary things either. 
For all the things that scare me, one tops the list-I never want to have God disappointed in me.  Don’t misunderstand, I have failed Him so many times, but it kills me every time when that still small voice within my heart makes me fall under conviction.  I want to love the things God loves and stay away from the things He detests.  There is a list in Proverbs 6 that line up the things God hates. 
There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him; haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community. “
    .
Let me break down these 6 no 7 things for you. 
1.       Proud attitude that looks down on others
2.       One who tells untruths
3.       Killing of the innocent
4.       A heart that thinks and commits evil toward another
5.       One who loves evil and helps it along its way
6.       A false witness
7.       One who causes division in the church or community.
One thing that always stands out to me about these Scriptures, is things we say and think are on the same list as those who murder. 
As I studied these Scriptures once again this week, I learned that God does not make a difference between the one who spreads the evil and one who does nothing to stop it!  I mean is that scary or what?  If we hear of a wrong, we must try to “right” it.  We cannot “help it along it’s way” by justifying that at least we didn’t start it.  If we “heard” it, we have a responsibility to intervene with the truth.
I have had the misfortune to know people who just love to create drama.  They are drawn to gossip and back-stabbing like a bee to honey.  I’ve had to learn to stay away from those because before I know it, my walk is affected, and I begin to a part of the problem rather that a part of the solution. 

What about you?  I think a crazy roller coaster would be a walk in the park next to disappointing the God who gave me life and secured my eternity.


No comments: