Monday, October 27, 2008

LESSONS FROM MY YORKIE



Today my little dog, Valli, ran away. I was sitting on the patio having my quiet time, when I realized it had been a few minutes since I had last seen her. I looked for her, called her and even resorted to squeaking her favorite toy thinking she would come running. She did not. I drove the neighborhood and didn't see her. I was just about to have a melt down when I spotted her leaving the subdivision by way of a very busy street. She came when I called, but she knew she was in trouble. I was so relieved, all I could do was hug her tightly.

I've had my feelings hurt all day over her behavior. You see, this little 6 pound Yorkie is the "apple of my eye". I let her get away with just about anything. With my boys all grown up and so far away, I have poured all of my considerable maternal instincts into this little fuzz ball. After all of that, she decides to leave the safety of our fenced backyard and my presence!

Actually, she sounds a little like me... God has done everything for me. I am indeed the "apple of His eye". He's met every need I have including my salvation and yet I still like to wander off and check the offerings just up the road from His presence. I keep thinking I might be missing something! He just keeps calling me and I keep running back knowing once again, I'm in trouble, but He is faithful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johnnie, So glad you are blogging! I feel almost like I am having a visit with you. I can so identify with the dog-thing. I have a 5 1/2 month old Malti-Poo. His name is Tigger and he has won the heart of someone (me) who claims not to be a dog lover! Love, Kay Martin

Beverly Wooley said...

Hey Johnnie -
Kay sent me the link to your new blog. I'm so thrilled. Immediately saved you to my favorites because you definitely are! LOVE the pictures - especially you and David.
I remember you guys (and all your nutty Houston friends)with such joy from the time I was privileged to be in the same tour group with you in Israel (Mar 2000).
I also remember what a special time it was when I got to meet you again in New Albany, MS at the women's conference at a friend's church (Oct 2001, I "think").
Look forward to checking your blog OFTEN. Much love, Beverly Wooley

Lianne said...

Hey Johnnie!
I'm so glad you found your little "fuzz ball"! I know how much ya'll love those fur-babies!!
Have a blessed night!
<><
Lianne