Wednesday, July 29, 2009

THE BLESSING OF FRIENDSHIP

I'm discovering that I just love FB (that's Facebook for you who have not ventured into the great Internet craze!) I read in the newspaper today that more and more middle age people are joining the ranks of the Facebook phenomenon. I'm telling you those college kids who started this whole thing are on to something!

I absolutely love that I can sign in and see what my buddies in Mississippi, Texas, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, etc. are doing. I am blessed daily to check in on my kids and their families all in the comfort of my little study and without burning minutes on my cell phone. I'm blown away to pray for sick children or mission trips around the world from my little corner of Texas. Life is good! It's not as good as going for coffee together, but it sure blesses my heart to get to stay in touch.

Of all the blessing I have been given, friends stand out as one of God's best in my life. There are some folks who have been a part of my "family of friends" for over 30years. There is not much they do not know about me. They have seen me at my best and at my worst. Sometimes that transformation from best to worst has occurred in less than an hour! There are other people who have come into my life because they have shared my life and allowed me to share theirs.

As I think about what it is that friends so special, I am reminded of all those who have blessed my life. I still have friends that I have known from school. I grew up in a small town, so I graduated with many who began first grade with me. We became friends because of the common denominators of age, geography and similar likes and dislikes. (Mostly we agreed from one week to the next who we liked or disliked!) Those were the friends I dreamed and planned with.

I have other friends who came into my life when I became a young wife and mom. Our friendship was based on common interests and limitations. (We could only eat out where the floors were tiled and highchairs were provided!) We never completed a sentence during those years, because we were interrupted every minute by one child or another. These are the friends who help keep my family together. Amazing relationships came from this time in my life.

As I grew older, others came to share in my life and we walked according to need and interests. Age, race, politics or religion were not nearly as important as the person. God taught me so much through those years of friendship. I watched my buddies battle cancer, the loss of mates, rebellious children and straying husbands. I watched them become stronger through the battles they faced. These friends made me strong. I became strong as they allowed me to stand beside them on the battle lines.

Every new friend has been blessed by the gifts in my life given by an old friend. I have been changed by the gifts their friends and friendships left in mine. Whether you connect through FB, email, telephone or a lunch date. Make the time this week for your friends. We couldn't make it without one another!

3 comments:

Melinda said...

I count myself blessed that God allowed us a sweet friendship! Pray you have a wonderful day! Love, Melinda

Anonymous said...

I also am loving Facebook because I am reconnecting with friends from long ago. You and I are certainly long-distance friends now, but we are still sisters in Christ. I have fond memories of the times we have had together in class at NOBTS and when you have spoken at my church.
Your friend and sister in Christ,
Kay

moose99 said...

I just love this. I miss you so much over here in MS! YOu are my "Jesus with skin on." How I long for our 3 hr coffee sessions & homemade bread sessions again. I am so proud of you for writing these posts...which leaves me still asking..."where is my book?" Love, Paige