Thursday, October 13, 2011

FRIENDS

My goodness, it's been a while since I posted to this blog. The baby boy I last wrote about is now 18 months old. There's been another baby boy Haines (I'll write about precious Josiah very soon!) And just to make our life perfect, baby Landen Haines is coming in January. Goodness knows I could write forever about those precious children, but that's not why I signed on today.

Today I want to talk about friends. Real friends that have been around my life for a long time. Friends who know about every stupid, childish thing I've ever thought about. Women who know all my faults and failures, but would swear to others those are their favorite things about me! (They then would pull me aside and tell me to get my life together.) Ladies who I have laughed my head off with and shared an equal amount of tears. Friends....

On Monday, a good friend who helped me raise my boys, had the opportunity to share some things on his behalf. There is something incredibly special about knowing someone long enough they can share stories about your 32 year old kid and his Superman under roos! Time and miles traveled together for that long equal some deep roots in a relationship. Those roots are buried so deep, even a full on Texas drought cannot affect them.

On Wednesday after Bible Study I had a very special time at lunch with two other old friends and one new one. Oh, how I wish I had a picture of that table laden with good Tex Mex food and diet coke with lime in it. With two of the ladies I have shared some real life experiences. Experiences like wonderful kids, not so wonderful kids on other days, sickness, health, death and moving vans. The new friend is new to our area. We don't have any history with her. She has children that are all grown up, grandchildren she's so proud of and a fresh empty place in her heart from losing her husband to cancer just over a year ago. We vowed to include her, introduce her and invite her into our lives. One of us is a widow and promised to share some needed information. One of us will get her plugged in to serve Jesus here in Houston. And, one of us promised to not tell funny stories about her at speaking engagements.... at least for a little while.

I just know we are going to love her and she will surely enrich our lives. A few years back, I might have thought I did not have time or space for another friend, but now I know better. Time and space is more limited every day. I've got to make the most of every opportunity. People say "You can't be too rich or too thin." I don't know much about either of those things, but I know I can't ever have too many friends!


Share some encouragement today with the friends God has given you.

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Friends are a precious gift from God!! I count you as one - just wish we could spend some time together!