Saturday, October 22, 2011

OH MY GOODNESS, I THINK I'M GOOD AND MAD

A sweet and precious young woman just posted a link on facebook to a blog explaining all the bad stuff about Women's Ministry. I'm not mad at her, I'm furious with the woman who wrote the blog. (Sarah Bessy, "Why we don't need Women's Ministry at chuchleaders.com) It made me fighting mad! I don't think I am un-biased on this subject. For pity sakes I've spent most of my adult life (and that's a lot of years) involved with the women of one church or another. I very personally, know the good, the bad and the ugly about women in the church. And you know what... the good and the Godly far outweigh the bad stuff.

I've never seen anyone like women seeking after the Lord in Bible Study. None seemed to care if there was a feminine cover on the study or not. It is the women from these groups that take meals and clean the house of another woman who is suffering the devastating effects of chemotherapy. These "shallow" women are the exact ones who show up at the door of another woman who just suffered another miscarriage, or buried her 1 year old. These are the women who hold up another woman who just saw her husband walk out the door after 20 years of marriage. These exact women help rescue another woman who has been beaten to a pulp by her husband. They have helped encourage the marriages in the group, clothe and feed the children who were without and managed to walk through some serious fires without smelling like smoke. They are not shallow or innocent of what the world has to offer.

These very same women would really love for some woman to start a workplace Bible study downtown. They would appreciate some help caring for those who have been unjustly treated by society. They wouldn't even mind if you started a group to discuss world religions, theology or politics. An art or music class for the children in the inner city would be a great place to start.

Stop waiting for an invitation to pray, work or minister to others. I encourage you to get off your soapbox and get busy in the middle of ministry. The church will be better for it.

Maybe just maybe, the reason your Ladies Night was filled with frivolous things like cupcakes and crafts is because most of the women who attended were exhausted and drained from their life of ministry. They needed a night of fun and laughter. They needed a place to take their "lost" neighbor that was not threatening or overly religious.

Does the church need Women's Ministry? Yes, you bet it does. Ms. Bessy, you are right, it's not just for the married women pushing a double stroller. (Although several of those also run marathons for causes important to them.) Women's Ministry is for you and women just like you who want a group that meets them where they are. Why don't you start one for women like that? You don't even have to bring cupcakes.

I feel better now....

5 comments:

The Haines said...

yeah! :) I did not see that article, but, really, I am quite tired of people complaining about what the church "should" do instead of just getting out there and doing it!

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Well said!! I haven't read the article, but I am sure I would be "good and mad" too!

Anonymous said...

JH
cool blog. so proud(humbled) to know you
SueyCaldwell

Keri said...

So I popped over to see the pics of your adorable grandson and boy am I happy I scrolled down a bit to catch up on what you've written. Well said!!!! It amazes me how easy it is for women to complain as they sit and benefit from the work of other women who just want to serve. Loved every single word!!

Johnnie said...

Thank you, Keri. I love keeping up with all your ministry in a foreign land!